Here at Wyke we have an excellent Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) department, offering A Levels in French, German and Spanish.
Studying an MFL is a hugely rewarding experience which will seriously broaden your horizons, whether you choose to study at university, undertake an apprenticeship or progress straight into employment.
So why choose to study A Level German at Wyke?
We’ve compiled a list of the top five reasons to select German as one of your A Level options:
- DESTINATIONS: Did you know that 91% of our A Level German students’ progress to university? Studying an A Level in German gives students the opportunity to study a vast array of university subjects, such as: Law, Maths, Primary Education, Engineering, Dance, Politics and Journalism. Two of our students even went on to read both German & French at the University of Cambridge.
- RESULTS: Our A Level German students achieve fantastic exam results. In the last seven years we have had a 100% pass rate. In 2019, 91% of our students achieved A*- C grades, with a further 74% achieving A* – B grades.
- EMPLOYABILITY: Studying German opens up a huge range of employment opportunities. Languages are important to businesses and they also show that you can demonstrate your ability to perform under pressure, as well as highlighting that you have great listening and multi-tasking skills and a sense of cultural awareness. Previous students have gone on to work at large-scale companies such as Barratt Homes, as well as a major FTSE 200 company in their internal and external marketing department.
- ENRICHMENT ACTIVITIES: The A Level German course offers a fantastic range of enrichment activities to support your studies, from the option to apply for the 2-day Linguastars residential university visit, to our annual inter-departmental trip to Berlin. Both visits are always a huge success, giving our students the opportunity to hone their language skills and experience the culture and history of modern Germany.
- TOP TUTORS: You will be guided through your studies under the fantastic tuition of Heather Lorch. Heather has 20 years of teaching experience and has been with us for seven years. She is hugely popular with our students and particularly enjoys teaching German grammar and discussing German history. Heather is aided in the classroom by Language Assistant Gabi, who is a native speaker of German and has been with us since 2014. You will attend a 30-minute session with Gabi each week in order to help you practice your German speaking and listening skills, therefore allowing you to expand your vocabulary.
Ready to find out more?
Why not visit us on our next Open Evening on Thursday 23rd January 2020 5:30pm – 8:00pm?
We look forward to meeting you!