Computer Science

A Level

Computer Science is an exciting and fast-moving field that brings together disciplines including IT, mathematics, engineering and physics.

Computer technologies are integral to modern life, so you are very likely to find your computer science skills in high demand across many different industries. These include schools and universities, IT firms, multinational companies, public sector organisations, cyber security, games development and more.

If you have a strong interest in IT, Computing, and Computer Science and would like to progress onto a career within this sector, this course is ideal for you.

80% Examination, 20% Practical Project

Apply Online

Course content

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

A Level Computer Science requires you to achieve at least the minimum entry requirements for your chosen pathway plus a grade 6 or higher in GCSE Maths.

EXAM BOARD

AQA

COURSE STRUCTURE

The majority of the Computer Science lessons will take place in our dedicated computer rooms. A small minority of lessons which are more theory based will take place in classrooms. Lessons will include a variety of individual and group work. This course will be assessed through 80% external exams and the other 20% will be assessed on a project.

Support outside lessons is available, both informally and formally and all of the staff in the department are available to support you on a lunchtime

MODULES INCLUDE

  • Fundamentals of programming
  • Fundamentals of data structures
  • Fundamentals of algorithms
  • Theory of computation
  • Fundamentals of data representation
  • Fundamentals of computer systems
  • Fundamentals of computer organisation and architecture
  • Consequences of using databases
  • Big Data
  • Fundamentals of functional programming
  • Systematic approach to problem solving
  • The computing practical project
  • Mathematical skills used for problem solving

TRIPS AND ENRICHMENT

The Computer Science department will offer you a number of enrichment activities, these include:

  • Visiting speakers from both industry and universities.
  • University visits to look at different fields of computing
  • Visits to industry

PREPARATION FOR THE COURSE

To prepare for this course, we advise you to investigate the languages C# and Python and try to learn some basic skills using these. It is also recommended that you come along to one of our open events and speak with our specialist teachers to gain a further insight into this course. There will also be an opportunity for you to attend taster sessions at our Wyke Start event in July. A Level Computer Science teachers will also set you some summer work following this event to help you prepare for the first few weeks on the course.

Related content

Entrepreneurs of the Future

| Accounting, Business, Course News, Economics | No Comments

A big thank you to Hull University Business School and Cranswick Foods for hosting a fantastic day for our first year A Level and BTEC Business students. The first part…

Vinny Crosskill

Ivy League Vinny

| Accounting, Awards, Business, Course News, Economics, Mathematics | No Comments

Second year Wyke student, Vinny Crosskill, has just been informed that he has secured a place at Babson College, Massachusetts, USA, to study Economics and Finance. Babson has a global…

Meet our Business Students: Daisy

| Accounting, Business | No Comments

This week, we caught up with some of our amazing second year Business students. One of these students being Daisy who gave us a fantastic insight into her time on…