Computer Science is an exciting and fast-moving field that brings together disciplines including IT, mathematics, engineering and physics.
Computer technologies are integral to modern life, so you’re likely to find your computer science skills in high demand across many different industries. These include schools and universities, IT firms, multinational companies, public sector organisations, cyber security, games development and more.
This course is for students who have a strong interest in IT, Computing, and Computer Science and would like to progress onto a career within this sector.
HOW THE COURSE IS DELIVERED?
The majority of the Computer Science lessons will take place in our dedicated computer rooms. A small minority of lessons which are more theory based will take place in classrooms.
Lessons will include a variety of individual and group work.
Support outside lessons is available, both informally and formally and all of the staff in the department are available for support at lunchtime.
MODULES OF STUDY
Modules within the course will include (please keep checking this course leaflet as these modules may be subject to change):
- Fundamentals of programming
- Fundamentals of data structures
- Fundamentals of algorithms
- Theory of computation
- Fundamentals of data representation
- Fundamentals of computer systems
- Fundamentals of computer organisation and architecture
- Consequences of using databases
- Big Data
- Fundamentals of functional programming
- Systematic approach to problem solving
- The computing practical project
- Mathematical skills used for problem solving
The Computer Science department will offer a number of enrichment activities:
- Visiting speakers from both industry and universities.
- University visits to look at different fields of computing
- Industry company visits
HOW IS THE COURSE ASSESSED?
This course will be assessed through 80% external exams and the other 20% will be assessed on a project.
This week, we caught up with some of our amazing second year Business students. One of these students being Daisy who gave us a fantastic insight into her time on…
Recently, we contacted former Wyke student Louis Mobbs to chat about his post-Wyke life. It’s an inspirational story and really outlines what is possible if you really set your mind…
Congratulations to former Wyke student, Victoria “Tori” Orsbourne, on her nomination for the “Humber’s Top 30 Under 30”, a programme run by a local recruitment agency, to highlight and recognise…